Russian Pirate - Orbita

Hier staan de oude rapporten

Moderators: ascona, pieter

Plaats reactie
WireUK

Russian Pirate - Orbita

Bericht door WireUK »

Hello from NW England

This recording is of the Russion Pirate 'Orbita' on 2920 SSB at 2011-12-16 22:37 UTC

It is of poor quality but the station can be heard after 40 seconds !
http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=735827

Thanks to all the guys on chat yesterday for advising of the large population of Russian pirates around 3meg I certainly will be listening out again.
Good DX
Dave

Receiver : Degen DE-1103.
Antennas : 0.5m home made 18 turn loop for MW or 10m long wire on SW

Kai

Re: Russian Pirate - Orbita

Bericht door Kai »

Hi Dave!

Good to see that others are interested in this band as well. I've been listening to it occasionally for years (but it wasn't until I got in touch with Alex in Ukraine around a year ago that I was able to ID any of the stations).

The 3 MHz pirates are heard quite well here in Norway. But for some reason the signals tend to be stronger late at night than earlier in the evening (even if it's dark all the way to Russia/Ukraine). Perhaps they use higher power at night? Some of the AM stations must be running several kilowatts.

The Russian/Ukrainian pirate scene seems to have a long history - it could be as old as the pirate scene in the north and east of the Netherlands. The earliest (Western) newspaper article I've found about the Russian/Ukrainian 'radio hooligans' is from 1963! Pirate radio was seen a problem already at that time, especially in the East of Ukraine. The hooligans used to be on MW, but gradually moved upwards (via 1.7 and 2.4 MHZ to 3 MHz, it seems).

I think it's reasonable to consider these stations pirates rather than unlicensed hams. They occasionally play music, they use adventurous names such as Dinamit and Barmaley rather than fake ham callsigns, and most of them use homemade transmitters - just like the pirates in the Netherlands, the Balkans and Greece!

By the way, I heard an Orbita from Tambov earlier this year. Do you know where your Orbita is from?

I hope to see more Russia/Ukraine logs here!

Kai in Oslo

WireUK

Re: Russian Pirate - Orbita

Bericht door WireUK »

Thanks for the reply

It was Alexandr who gave me the frequency for Orbita from Tambov.

As for the improvement late at night, perhaps that's the skip 'accomodating' the distance as a long single hop or to a double hop ?

More on propagation and of Russian stations next week no doubt.

Thanks
Good DX
Dave

Receiver : Degen DE-1103.
Antennas : 0.5m home made 18 turn loop for MW or 10m long wire on SW

Plaats reactie